2024 Summer Internship Applications Due 2/15
16 January 2024
Astronomy and physics students are invited to apply for the summer internship in education and outreach at the McDonald Observatory Visitors Center. This position is based at the Observatory site in the Davis Mountains, 450 miles west of Austin.
McDonald Observaotry hosts visitors from around the world. Our staff provide them with access to some of our largest research telescopes, daytime views of the Sun and stunning views of the night sky.
About the Internship
The internship is an opportunity to develop public speaking skills, share knowledge of astronomy and physics, and spend time with world class telescopes at a major observatory... all while enjoying some of the darkest night skies in the United States!
As an intern you will:
- Assist with the daily operations of the Visitors Center
- Present Solar Viewing and Guided Tour programs
- Operate telescopes at Star Parties several nights a week
- Support summer workshops for K-12 teachers
- Participate in local outreach activities
This is a paid position, 40 hours per week. In addition to an hourly wage of $15-20 depending on experience, the internship includes on-site housing and the option to purchase meals from the Astronomers Lodge. Dinnertime at the Lodge is an excellent opportunity to make contacts with researchers, graduate students, and professors from UT and around the world. Interns are not required to stay at the Lodge, but no housing stipend is provided for offsite accommodations.
Applicants should have completed AST 307 or an equivalent course in introductory astronomy (for science and engineering majors) and must have a valid class “C” driver’s license with a current three-year driving record.
Our ideal candidate will be:
- Engaging and outgoing
- Comfortable with public speaking
- Enthusiastic about learning and science communication
- Somewhat knowledgeable about amateur telescopes and equipment
The position requires driving a shuttle van for tours, climbing stairs, and working outdoors in low light and various weather conditions. This position is security sensitive. McDonald Observatory is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to diversity.
- Application deadline is February 15
- A candidate will be chosen by March 30
- The exact dates of the internship are flexible, but must be a minimum of two consecutive months. It can start as early as May 13, 2024, and can run through August 17, 2024.
How to Apply
Send a resume and letter of interest to Judy Meyer at firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions are also welcome via email.